Sunday 10 February 2013

Chewy Oatmeal Cookies: No More Trust Issues

Prior to discovering Janis Plageman's recipe for Chewy Oatmeal Cookies, my general relationship with raisin oatmeal cookies could be summed up nicely using the following e-card:




Let's get real here.  Aren't raisin oatmeal cookies just a metaphor for adult life? 

Me (playing the role of "adult"):  Life, can I have a cookie?
Life:  Sure - I'll give you a cookie...  but under one condition.
Me:  And what condition would that be?
Life:  The cookie is going to have to be raisin oatmeal.  Sorry.
Me:  Awwww man!  I was kinda just looking forward to a tastier kind...  like maybe something with chocolate chips?
Life:  I'm not that simple.  With every one of my up's, there's a down... every yin, a yang. .. You get the picture.  Disappointment and compromise are a very real and UNAVOIDABLE part of me and I can never let you forget that.
Me:  Even if all I want is to do is eat a delicous cookie?  Can't I just forget about your harsh, soul crushing realities for the next two minutes while I eat a cookie and then I pinky swear PROMISE to ponder the duality of the universe later?
Life:  No.
Me:  ...

After years of outright avoidance, I recently decided that it was time to revisit the raisin oatmeal cookie situation.  As previously noted, I am (playing the role of) an adult and can therefore do whatever I want.  As such, I have chosen to add chocolate chips and Commonwealth Mix to my version of this recipe in place of the raisins and almonds suggested in the original.  I have also chosen not to rename the recipe "Chewy Commonwealth Mix Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies" - but you can if you want.  ;)



 





Baker's Secrets:  I cut the recipe in half and it made about 36 cookies.  I also baked them for about 12 minutes and they are still nice and chewy.

No comments:

Post a Comment